If you're looking for a way to care for your cold and find relief when you're unable to breath, this mentholated cold care chest rub cream can do wonders. It's more powerful and soothing than going to the local store to pick up some Vicks.
This version is pretty mild, so if you’d like it to have a stronger scent, try increasing the menthol crystals to 4 grams (2% of the recipe).
Ingredients are listed by weight. You’ll need a scale to make and exact recipe.
- 32 g (1.13 oz) sunflower (or other) oil (16%)
- 20 g (0.71 oz) mango (or shea) butter (10%)
- 14 g (0.5 oz) vegetable emulsifying wax NF (7%)
- 2 g (abt 3/4 tsp) menthol crystals (1%) (add after heating)
- 124 g (4.37 oz) distilled water (62%)
Cool Down Phase:
- 8 g (0.28 oz) Leucidal SF Complete (4%) (more preservative options below)
- Essential oils: 17 drops eucalyptus, 10 drops peppermint, 3 drops white camphor
Directions to Make
- Combine sunflower oil, mango (or Shea) butter, and emulsifying wax NF in a heatproof jar. (Make sure you don't add the menthol yet.)
- Add the water in a second heatproof jar, and cover lightly with a lid.
- Place both jars in a saucepan with a few inches of water.
- Heat to 158 to 176° F (70 to 80° C), or until the wax is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir the menthol crystals into the hot oil mixture. (Be aware there may be momentary strong fumes.)
- Pour the water phase into the oil phase.
- Mix with a fork for several minutes as the mixture starts cooling.
- Add the preservative and essential oils. Stir frequently as the cream cools.
- If desired, set the jar in a bowl of ice water and stir frequently to cool/thicken faster, though it still may take up to 24 hours to reach final thickness.