One of my favorite ways to celebrate Valentine's Day is to make the most delicious sugar cookies on the planet. They are the perfect blend of sweet and a touch of salt — with fabulous frosting that melts in your mouth.
Sean and the kids love when I make them. I hope you'll love them just the same and make them for someone you love!
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Line cookie sheets on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Combine the softened butter and granulated sugar until it is light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes (important to not over beat the butter and sugar).
- Add the egg and mix until well-combined.
- Add in flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla extract.
- You may need to add a bit more flour so the dough isn’t too sticky.
- Roll out the dough to ¼ inch thick, (easiest is to do it between two sheets of parchment paper.)
- Remove the parchment paper and use the cookie cutter to cut the heart shapes.
- Place the hearts on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let cool before decorating.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Food coloring (whatever colors you desire)
- Combine all ingredients and mix with an electric mixer.
- You may need to add a bit more milk to get your desired consistency.
- Add your food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Lastly, spread or pipe the frosting onto your cookies and add your favorite Valentine’s decorations like sprinkles and sugar crystals!