I love the combination of chicken and asparagus, as it's the perfect combination of protein and nutrient-rich veggies for my family to enjoy.
I discovered the following recipe on EatWell and love all the ways the flavors come together. As with most of my recipes including chicken broth, I suggest using bone broth instead, as it's so rich in nutrients.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) bone broth
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Crushed red chili pepper flakes, optional
- Slices of lemon, for garnish
For the chicken seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Slice the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks and season with salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Let sit in a shallow plate while you prepare the asparagus.
- Wash and trim the ends of the asparagus, then blanch them in boiling water for 2 minutes. Soak in ice water to stop the cooking asparagus. Drain and set aside.
- Heat half butter and olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat. Gently stir-fry the chicken bites on all sides until golden brown. Lower the temperature, add one teaspoon minced garlic and Italian seasoning and stir and cook with chicken bites until fragrant. Remove the chicken bites from the skillet and set aside to a plate.
- In the same skillet over medium-high, add minced garlic then deglaze with chicken broth (or wine). Bring to a simmer and reduce to half the volume. Add remaining butter, lemon juice, hot sauce, parsley. Give a quick stir to combine.
- Add the blanched asparagus and toss for 2 minutes to cook it up. Add the sautéed chicken bites back to the pan and stir for another minute to reheat. Garnish the chicken and asparagus with more parsley, crushed chili pepper, and lemon slices and serve your garlic butter chicken bites and asparagus immediately.