There are few things more satisfying than a warm cocktail when the days get shorter and colder. I love to experiment with ingredients that make your insides light up and instantly shift the mood after a busy day or during an evening gathering.
Thankfully, cider is quite easy to make and is always a hit with family and friends. While it takes a couple hours for the ingredients to come together, it's super easy to throw together.
- 1-gallon unfiltered apple cider
- 11/2 cup dark rum
- 1 large orange, cut into 1/4" slices.
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled & cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1" ginger root, sliced
- 3 Cinnamon sticks
- 4-star anise
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- In a large pan or dutch oven, add apple juice, orange slices, cinnamon sticks, star anise, whole cloves, whole allspice, and ginger root.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Add rum to the mixture.
- Remove fruit and spices, then add to individual servings.
- Serve and enjoy!
NOTE: If you have a crockpot, you can use it as well. It simplifies things, especially if you need to run errands or don't want the stove on for hours at a time. All you need to do is turn the crockpot on LOW and cook for 2-3 hours. Add rum and serve!